SWS New England Annual Chapter Conference and Field Trip
Friday, October 6, 2023 (8:30 AM - 3:45 PM) (EDT)
The New England Chapter of SWS presents its Annual Chapter Conference and Field Trip. Our theme this year is “Restoration in the Face of Climate Change.”
The day will begin at the Pompositticut Community Center in Stow, MA with an update on SWS-NE initiatives since the 2022 Conference, and two presentations to set the scene for the field trip. During the field trip at Stow Acres Country Club, we will examine filled wetlands proposed for restoration to a wet meadow and stream complex. Filled wetlands will be evaluated via soil test pits and soil IRIS tubes. Following the field trip, we’ll venture back to the Community Center, enjoy lunch and a field trip recap discussion, and the final three presentations.
Please contact April Doroski (email@example.com, 413-282-7008) with any questions.
- 8:30-9:00 - Registration & Light Breakfast
- 9:00-9:15 - Opening Remarks and Business Meeting
- 9:15-9:45 - David Hilgeman, Senior Environmental Engineer, MassDEP Massachusetts Inland Wetland Replacement Guidelines – BVW Manual
- 9:45-10:15 - Kathy Sferra, Conservation Director, Town of Stow, Stow Acres: From Plan to Action
- 10:15-12:30 - Stow Acres Field Trip
- 12:30-2:00 - Field Trip Debrief & Lunch - At the Community Center
- 2:00-2:30 - Matt Burne, Senior Ecologist, BSC Group, Inc, Planning Restoration and Resiliency on the Stow Acres Golf Course
- 2:30-3:00 - Madeliene Meadows-McDonnell, PhD Candidate, University of Connecticut, How does texture of added sediment affect carbon sequestration of restored coastal salt marshes?
- 3:00-3:15 - Break & Light Refreshments
- 3:15-3:45 - David Wong, MassDEP, Freshwater Invasive Species in Massachusetts in the Face of Climate Change
PRE-ORDER SWS-NE SWAG: Performance T-Shirts & Hats
Pre-order here to receive your t-shirt and/or hat for pick up at the Annual Conference!
Performance T-Shirts: $18
A room block is available at Boxboro Regency for the night of October 5 at a rate of $105 (plus tax). The reservation cut-off date is September 21.
242 Adams Place, Boxboro, MA 01719
Room block name: Society of Wetland Scientist NE Chapter Conference
If you would like to make your sponsorship payment via check, please mail to the Society of Wetland Scientists at 1660 International Dr, Suite 600, McLean, VA 22102. Note "SWS-NE event sponsor" on the memo line.
509 Great Rd
Stow, MA 01775 United States
Field Trip will take place at Stow Acres Country Club