Wetlands Permitting and Compliance Specialist
Rancho Cordova, CA (Hybrid) - Full Time, Mid to Senior Level
Wetlands Permitting and Compliance Specialist
Rancho Cordova, CA
Ducks Unlimited, Inc. (DU) is a 501(c)3 non-profit dedicated to the conservation of wetlands and associated upland habitats for waterfowl, other wildlife and people. The Western Region of DU has an opening for a full-time experienced Wetlands Permitting and Compliance Specialist to round out our mission driven and close-knit team. The successful candidate will provide essential permitting and environmental compliance support to DU conservation teams across the western states, where they will facilitate implementation of critically important restoration and enhancement projects on both public and private lands. The position will be based out of our Western Regional Office in Rancho Cordova, CA, and may be staffed remotely based on the current location of the successful candidate.
- Develop environmental compliance strategies for aquatic restoration projects in California that reflect a broad and comprehensive understanding of applicable federal, state, and local natural resource regulations. Familiarity with streamlined natural resource permit processes available to voluntary restoration projects in California is beneficial.
- Assemble federal, state, and local permit applications packages to support aquatic restoration project implementation.
- Prepare and/or oversee preparation of supporting studies for permit application packages (e.g., wetland delineations, biological assessments, cultural resource assessments).
- Prepare and/or oversee preparation of National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) and/or California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) environmental documents.
- Prepare requests for proposals to solicit professional assistance in developing, designing, and implementing compliance-related work products.
- Develop scopes, costs, and schedules to support DU biologists and other staff seeking to secure funding for aquatic restoration projects.
- Provide compliance support during project construction, including on-the-ground interpretation of permit terms and conditions and real-time coordination with regulatory and resource agencies.
Ducks Unlimited is seeking a passionate and talented compliance specialist to join our team of conservation minded biologists and engineers restoring and enhancing aquatic habitats across California. The successful candidate will have strong organizational and critical thinking skills, a positive attitude and attention to detail, a commitment to ecological restoration, and the ability to work well both independently and as part of a team. Strong candidates will also be excited to take on new and challenging tasks that could vary project to project.
Education and Experience – The successful candidate must have a Bachelor of Science degree, preferably in an environmental planning or natural resources related field. An advanced degree is desirable.
Applicants must have at least five years of relevant experience, with demonstrated success in preparing and submitting federal and state natural resource permit applications in California. Familiarity and experience permitting multi-disciplinary wetland or tidal restoration projects preferred.
Recent permitting experience with the following regulations is required: Section 401 and 404 of the Clean Water Act and Section 1602 et seq. of the California Fish and Game Code. Familiarity and recent experience working with other key federal, state and local laws that govern aquatic resource restoration is desirable, including the Federal Endangered Species Act, National Historic Preservation Act, California Endangered Species Act, and California Coastal Act. Experience developing or overseeing development of CEQA documents is beneficial.
Communication Skills – The successful candidate must be able to communicate permit requirements and processes to teams of varying backgrounds, including DU staff, project partners, landowners, and regulators. Clear and succinct verbal and written communication skills are essential. Applicants may be required to provide a writing sample demonstrative of their understanding and application of the natural resource regulations described above.
Technical Skills – The successful candidate must be proficient in the use of MS Office software, and comfortable submitting permit applications online using a personal computer. Job responsibilities may require field work in adverse weather and landscape conditions and may require overnight travel.
Familiarity with ArcGIS, GPS equipment, and all-terrain vehicles is beneficial. The ability to complete biological evaluations, plant and/or wildlife surveys, and/or wetland delineations is also beneficial, but not required.
Analytical Skills – The ideal candidate is able to develop a project-specific integrated regulatory compliance strategy that balances project goals and regulatory requirements, and that clearly communicates critical path permit process(es) to a project team. The ability to identify potential challenges early in project design and development, and an inclination to creatively and collaboratively solve those challenges with partners and regulators, is an excellent quality for staff in this position.
SALARY AND BENEFITS PACKAGE: Salary commensurate with experience. DU offers an exceptional benefit package that includes comprehensive group medical, prescription, dental, and vision insurance, including spouse and dependent coverage; three weeks paid vacation; paid sick leave and 10 paid holidays; 401(k) plan (including partial employer match); and tuition reimbursement.
For more information regarding this please see posted “Jobs” at www.ducks.org, or contact:
Maria Camacho, Executive Assistant email@example.com
Ducks Unlimited, Inc. Western Regional Office 3074 Gold Canal Drive Rancho Cordova, CA 95670
Job Type : Full-Time
Education Level : Bachelors Degree
Experience Level : Mid to Senior Level