TRC Companies, Inc. a pioneer in ground-breaking scientific and engineering developments since the 1960s, is an engineering consulting firm that provides integrated services to the energy, environmental and infrastructure markets. TRC serves a broad range of clients in government and industry, implementing complex projects from initial concept to delivery and operation.
Our Environmental Sector delivers comprehensive environmental solutions to meet the full project lifecycle needs of clients in renewable energy, oil & gas, transportation, and manufacturing industries. With one of the largest multimedia air and land permitting and compliance teams in the country, we support client success in manufacturing and industry, liquids delivery and processing, natural gas storage and delivery, power generation and delivery, and transportation projects.
TRC is seeking aWetland Scientist / Lead Wetland Delineatorwith our Environmental Practice to be based in ourWindsor, CT office.This individual will be a lead wetland delineator and function as task manager for field surveys. This person will mentor field technicians and entry level staff to support their development of field skills (e.g., plant identification and soil characterization). The successful applicant will be a part of our Permitting, Planning, and Licensing group and will be involved in a wide variety of projects across southern New England, including many renewable energy projects. There is also the option to support long-term field assignments in other states, if interested and available.
Key Responsibilities & Tasks
- Lead wetland delineations and functional assessments based on the USACE 1987 Manual, applicable regional supplements, and applicable state wetland regulations.
- Lead habitat and other biological surveys with minimal supervision.
- Manage field teams and logistics.
- Train junior staff on plant identification, soil characterization, and hydrologic indicators.
- Serve as a technical resource for environmental reporting related to terrestrial and aquatic resources.
- Prepare permit applications and field data reports to support permitting and licensing efforts.
- Coordinate closely with the geographic information system (GIS) team to develop required mapping for permitting and other environmental documents.
- Support other biological surveys including vernal pool, breeding bird, and habitat assessments for protected species/species of special concern.
- Serve as a construction or environmental monitor to support compliance with stormwater and Stormwater Pollution and Prevention Plan (SWPPP) requirements.
- Provide oversight of implementation of construction Best Management Practices and provide input on restoration or mitigation strategies during construction.
- Provide oversight of environmental restoration and/or wetland mitigation activities on construction sites.
- Abide by Company policies and procedures.
- Other duties and special projects as assigned.
- Minimum qualifications include a Bachelor's degree in environmental science, soil science, biology, ecology, botany, forestry, or related field.
- 3 to 5 years of post-degree experience in field investigations, including wetland delineations and permit compliance monitoring.
- Experience preparing Permit Application packages for the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and other state agencies.
- Ability to professionally interact in the field with clients, regulatory agencies, and other contractors.
- Familiarity with a variety of GPS equipment and electronic data collection.
- Excellent technical writing and communication skills.
- Positive and team-focused individual with the willingness to complete field work year-round.
- CPSS or PWS certification or the ability to obtain is preferred.
- Membership in the Society of Soil Scientists of Southern New England or the ability to obtain is preferred.
- Experience completing other biological surveys (e.g., vernal pools, winter raptor surveys, breeding bird surveys, bat surveys, and rare plants).
- Experience performing environmental monitoring and SWPPP inspections for construction projects preferred.
TRC is an equal opportunity employer: disability/veteran. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
TRC offers advancement potential and a competitive compensation and benefits package including a 401k plan with a company match. For more information, please visit our website athttp://www.trccompanies.com/.
Job Type : Full-Time
Education Level : Bachelors Degree
Experience Level : Entry Level