Grounded in safety, quality, and ethics, our experts lead their fields and guide our work with rigor, a creative spirit, and vision for growth. We draw from more than 20 technical specialties around the globe and are committed to fostering an inclusive community of diverse talents, backgrounds, and expertise. We’re a place to apply your passion and collaborate with top environmental talents on work that’s critical to our clients and the communities they support. Join a team that has the environment down to a science.
2,600 Environmental Services staff. 20 technical specialties. 900 professional associations. An international team with local expertise. You could say we know a little something about the environment. Our passion for it drives our work. Grounded by safety, quality, and ethics, we come up with solutions that perfectly fit the site. We know what it takes to balance competing project interests with creativity and efficiency. We know what to look for. And, we know how to get the job done—the right way. Join a team that has the environment down to a science.
We are seeking an exceptionally talented and enthusiastic individual with a keen interest in natural sciences to join our team as a Wetland Scientist in our Overland Park, KS office. The position will be hybrid (a mix of field work, in office work, and remote work). The ideal candidate will be located in the greater Kansas City area and available for routine in-office attendance.
We believe in a welcoming, supportive and empowering office culture. Come join our team where your individual experiences and perspective can help us do our best work for our clients and have a lasting impact on our world.
Your Key Responsibilities
The ideal candidate must have experience in wetland delineation in the central US and familiarity with Federal wetland regulations. Responsibilities will include:
- Delineating and characterizing wetlands and other water resources.
- Conducting botanical surveys, natural community mapping, endangered species habitat surveys, and ecological impact assessments.
- Writing wetland delineation reports and other technical reports for client and regulatory agency review.
- Assisting with the coordination and management of environmental permitting, assessment, and/or compliance work related to various federal and state agency requirements as they pertain to a variety of project types including renewable energy, energy transmission and generation facilities, transportation, and private development projects.
- Other technical duties may include wildlife surveys and ecological restoration.
- Assisting with the preparation, review, and editing of technical documents, such as environmental assessments, environmental impact statements, and other technical reports.
- Participating in multi-disciplinary environmental assessments; recording, entering, organizing, managing, and analyzing data.
- Attending client and regulatory agency meetings (virtual and/or in-person) and providing recommendations and input.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- The ideal candidate will be a team player and have exceptional oral and written communication skills; analytical and creative problem-solving skills; and organizational and note-taking skills. Candidates should also be able to demonstrate most of the following abilities:
- Corps of Engineers Basic Delineation Training, or approved equivalent.
- Ability to validate and accurately analyze information and make sound decisions that have considerable business impact.
- Ability to interface effectively and collaborate with clients, peers, management, and vendors to successfully meet shifting needs.
- Ability to integrate work across relevant areas, develop the business and services to enhance customer satisfaction and productivity, manage risks and safety appropriately, manage information, and provide exceptional service to internal and external customers.
- Effectiveness in resource planning, results delivery, and staying current with relevant technology and innovation.
- Strong ethics, leadership, the ability to effectively manage stress and engage in continuous learning.
- Customer focused, and understand and appropriately respond to clients’ business needs.
- Motivate self, and others to overcome obstacles and achieve goals.
- Ability to work well under pressure, and to prioritize and balance sometimes heavy workloads to achieve goals while keeping up with a highly mobile and changing environment.
- Work well with others and keep other team members aware of project and client needs.
Education and Experience
- Master of Science Degree (preferred) in natural resources, botany, or related biological field; or a Bachelor of Science Degree with 3 to 5 years of relevant experience.
- Demonstrated experience with plant, soil, and wetland identification and characterization in the region.
- Preference will be given to those who have experience delineating wetlands according to US Army Corps of Engineers Manual and the corresponding Regional Supplements.
- Willingness to travel extensively (up to 75%), and the ability to work in the field for long hours in adverse weather conditions.
- Must be comfortable with computers and mobile mapping and data collection applications including Collector/Field Maps and Survey123.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Excel and Word.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Click to Apply
Job Type : Full-Time
Education Level : Bachelors Degree
Experience Level : Mid to Senior Level