Wetland Biologist - Contractor
Lafayette, LA, United States
Life, Physical and Social Science
- Work From Home
03/28/2021, 10:30 PM
05/24/2021, 10:29 PM
Biologist I, Lafayette, LA
Join the team who values your skills and expertise. Cherokee Nation System Solutions (CNSS) helps federal agencies improve productivity and find innovative solutions. Taking a personalized approach, CNSS offers a complete line of innovative services and consulting to government agencies, including call center, application modernization, data utilization, advanced analytics and IT infrastructure. Your valuable skills can help us give customers the support they deserve and the quality they expect from our team – a team of experts, like you.
Cherokee Nation System Solutions is part of Cherokee Federal – a team of tribally owned federal contracting companies focused on building solutions, solving complex challenges, and serving the nation’s mission around the globe for more than 60 federal clients. For more information, visit cherokee-federal.com.
Cherokee Nation System Solutions (CNSS) helps federal research agencies to develop research and understanding of impacts of changes in hydrology, environment, surface level, hurricane activity, invasive and rare species.
The General Biologist I will assist in research on the ecology and restoration of bald cypress swamps and floodplain ecosystems of the southeastern and midwestern United States.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Biologist will assist by collecting and recording scientific data from field and laboratory analysis along with scheduled reports, which cover the following items:
- Collect biological and environmental data in the field, greenhouse, conservation garden, seed bank nursery and laboratory. This data will come from wetlands including but not limited to the southeastern and upper Midwestern United States.
- Collect data in the conservation garden under the guidance of a federal scientist.
- Assist scientists with field experiments, including litter production, root ingrowth studies, above ground standing crop, elevation studies and soil carbon content in the geographical study of the southeastern swamps of the Mississippi Alluvial Valley, Gulf and Atlantic Coasts.
- Process garden, greenhouse and field samples in the laboratory. This processing shall include carbon analysis, plant identification, root separation, dry biomass and other standard analyses.
- Input all data into usable data files (3-5 datasets per year).
- Operate and provide routine maintenance for field equipment including but not limited to motor vehicles, motor boats to 25 feet and, airboats. In some work settings the Contractor may be required to work with other non-federal research staff (interns, volunteers, other contractors).
- Document the status and time keeping of all projects and products in project tracking database as per established procedure.
Education and/or Experience:
- Undergraduate degree in biological sciences and 1-2 years of relevant field experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Practical skills beneficial to the position include familiarity with operation of common laboratory instrumentation, calculations necessary for preparation of solutions with estimated chemical concentrations, report writing and basic data analyses, and critical thinking. Other skills such as:
- Successfully complete a government approved boating safety class (will be provided)
- First aid/CPR courses
- Have the ability to swim in deep water; and
- Obey all safety rules and boating regulations.
- Willingness to take plant taxonomy training and wash roots.
- Possess a current and valid State driver's license and have the ability to operate standard, automatic, and 4-wheel drive vehicles.
- Office environment, some of this work may be done remotely.
- Travel will be required by this position. While the primary base of operations is at a government site in Lafayette, LA, some of the study sites are located at a distance of 100 miles or more and will require overnight travel.
About Cherokee – Federal
Cherokee Federal – a division of Cherokee Nation Businesses – is a team of tribally owned federal contracting companies focused on building solutions, solving complex challenges, and serving the nation’s mission around the globe for more than 60 federal clients. Our team of companies manages nearly 1,000 projects of all sizes across the construction, consulting, engineering and manufacturing, health, and technology portfolios.
Since 2012, the Cherokee Federal team of companies has won more than $5 billion in government contracts. Our 3,000+ employees work in 26 countries, 50 states and 2 U.S. territories.
Why choose Cherokee Federal? Visit our website and learn about the great reasons to join our team. cherokee-federal.com
Applicants selected will be subject to a U.S. Government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, gender identity and sexual orientation. If you’d like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant under the law, please copy and paste the links to the following two sites: EEO Statement | EEO Poster; https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf and https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/ofccp_eeo_supplement_final_jrf_qa_508c.pdf
If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process, or are limited in the ability or unable to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, you may e-mail CNB.Compliance@cn-bus.com for assistance. This email address is for accommodation requests only and cannot be used to inquire about the application process or status.
For Pay Transparency Non Discrimination provision, please copy and paste the following link: Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision; https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/pdf/pay-transp_%20English_formattedESQA508c.pdf
We maintain an Affirmative Action Plan for proactively seeking employment and advancement for qualified protected veterans and individuals with disabilities. Upon request, we will schedule time to make our Affirmative Action Plan accessible. If you are interested, please submit a written request with the email subject line: 2021 Request to View Affirmative Action Plan to the Compliance Administrator at “CNB.Compliance@cn-bus.com” This email box is not for resumes or follow up on job applications.
Job Type : Full-Time
Education Level : Bachelors Degree, Masters
Experience Level : Entry Level
Job Function : General