Sustainability & Ecological Services Ducks Unlimited Western Region
Ducks Unlimited (DU), world leader in wetland conservation, seeks an accomplished and motivated Research Scientist to help provide science support for its conservation efforts across the western United States with a focus on the ecosystem services provided by wetlands and associated habitats such as water quality, flood abatement, and carbon sequestration.
The successful candidate will join a growing team of scientists and conservation professional across the US, Canada, and Mexico evaluating and communicating the outcomes of wetland, farmland, grassland and forest conservation programs central to DU’s mission. The Research Scientist will be part of DU’s western region conservation planning team to develop data and literature syntheses, create geospatial planning models, support fundraising and policy efforts, and design research and monitoring projects in the field.
The ideal candidate will have experience measuring and or modeling ecosystems functions related to carbon, nutrient cycling, and gains in water use efficiency in natural and agricultural systems. The successful candidate will also have the opportunity to collaborate with DU’s conservation, policy, communications, and fundraising teams to cultivate a broad skill set in conservation. Ideally, this person will also lead the way in developing new conservation partnerships for DU that are based on the ecosystem services that our company provides.
· In collaboration with DU colleagues, provide scientific input regarding the impacts of conservation programs and land-use changes and policy changes on the health and function of ecosystems using data, models, and literature review.
· Strive to develop new conservation opportunities and partnerships for DU in the west, based on the ecosystem services that our conservation programs provide.
· Aid in the development of modelling methods and field protocols for measuring water quality, soil health, carbon sequestration and other ecosystem outcomes from conservation projects.
· Communicate science efforts with other members of the DU team and partners in public agencies, communities, and the private sector.
· Learn and apply sustainability metrics and frameworks for accounting for the benefits of nature-based solutions such as Volumetric Water Benefits Accounting, Greenhouse Gas Protocol, and other similar frameworks.
· Support the development of grant proposals to fund science and conservation efforts.
· Publish and present research results in diverse forums including peer-reviewed journals and professional meetings.
· Support the development of communication and fundraising materials.
· B.S. Degree in Ecology, Limnology, Natural Resource Management, Soil Science, Agronomy, or a related field. M.S degree preferred. Specific duties and on-the-job training will be tailored to suit the expertise of the successful candidate.
· 2+ years of combined graduate education or research experience in wetland ecology, water quality, limnology, aquatic ecology, or a related field.
· Experience working independently on measuring and/or modeling ecosystem functions (including undergraduate/graduate research).
· Excellent communication skills.
· Ability to travel occasionally and work effectively off-site, including fieldwork.
· Demonstrated experience with GIS software, preferable ArcGIS and programming in Python R or similar.
· Demonstrated expertise of the development and management of databases.
· Knowledge of bird conservation.
The successful candidate will be expected to report to DU’s Western Region Office in Sacramento, CA. Remote work arrangements in proximity to DU’s field office or elsewhere in the west will be considered for exceptional candidates with a proven ability to work under minimal supervision.
Salary Range: $64,000 - $117,000
To Apply: Please fill out the application materials online at http://www.ducks.org/About-Ducks-Unlimited/Jobs-at-Ducks-Unlimited, attach cover letter and resume and click submit. For questions regarding this position, please contact Mark Petrie at firstname.lastname@example.org. Application Deadline is February 29,2024
DUCKS UNLIMITED, INC. IS AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
It is the policy of Ducks Unlimited, Inc. to afford equal employment opportunity to all qualified persons regardless of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, lactation and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age (40 or over), disability (physical, mental or visual), genetic information, marital status (including registered domestic partnership status), military and veteran status, immigration status, or any other category protected by federal, state or local law.
Application Link or Email : http://www.ducks.org/About-Ducks-Unlimited/Jobs-at-Ducks-Unlimited
Job Type : Full-Time
Education Level : Bachelors Degree, Masters, Doctoral
Experience Level : Mid to Senior Level