SLR International Corporation is currently seeking a Senior Wetlands and Soils Scientist with 8-12 years’ experience to support our ecology practice in our Northeast offices. The ideal candidate for this position is a motivated environmental consulting professional with the desire to foster technical excellence and provide day to day project support. This candidate will be an integral part of our growth strategy and must be willing to perform work both in the office as well as in the field.
As a Senior Wetlands and Soils Scientist, you will work with our staff of ecologists, professional wetland scientists, registered soil scientists, landscape architects, and structural/civil/water resource engineers in our Connecticut offices. The ecology group provides integrated services on a wide variety of projects throughout New England, including federal and state wetland delineations, regulatory permitting, coastal resource assessments, wildlife habitat evaluations, and environmental impact analysis. An understanding of the interaction between the phases of multi-disciplinary projects is desirable. You will be involved with the continued development and mentoring of junior staff and be responsible for quality control of junior staff work. Work will be performed under the direct supervision of a SLR principal environmental scientist.
You will have the opportunity to represent SLR with clients and will have responsibilities for planning and day-to-day execution of the technical aspects of projects.
- Conducting site visits to assess ecological communities, flora and fauna inventories and delineating wetlands
- Mentoring junior staff
- Preparing proposals and reviewing and writing environmental reports with Principal Environmental Scientist guidance and review
- Managing, mentoring, and coordinating with SLR staff of project-level scientists, engineers, and consultants; and coordinating with them on projects
- Conducting/reviewing technical analyses/calculations
- Participating in meetings and agency consultation
- Ensuring work is carried out in a safe manner and in accordance with company safety rules and applicable regulatory, industry, and other pertinent standards. This includes, but is not limited to, development of health and safety plans, coordinating and participating in regular safety meetings and training, work site inspections, using required personal protective equipment, and responding to unsafe work hazards.
- Conducting internal and client communications
- Bachelor’s Degree in Environmental Sciences/Natural Resources Management, Master’s Degree preferred
- Professional Wetland Scientist, Registered Soil Scientist, Professional Certified Soil Scientist is strongly preferred
- Work experience with environmental consulting services for wetland delineations, regulatory permitting, and presenting before regulatory agencies
- Fluency with federal (New England) and state (CTDEEP and MADEP) Wetland and Waterways Regulations
- Balances field and office assignments; strong organizational skills
- Prepares technical deliverables, GIS mapping for wetland delineation and impact assessment reports
- Experience preparing reports that demonstrate technical knowledge and the ability to review the reports of others
- Communicates effectively with clients and fosters a positive working relationship with the client
- Completes tasks with minimal supervision and direction
- Demonstrates professional judgment, consistency, strong attention to detail, and background of high-quality work products
- Strong oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Strong interest in safety
Personable Attributes & Traits
- Demonstrates values-based competencies in line with the core values that are the foundation of all activities performed in order to achieve the mission of the firm.
- Accountability – Accepts personal responsibility for one's actions and decisions
- Client Focus – Responds to and meets the needs of client expectations
- Integrity, Honesty, and Public Trust – Conducts day-to-day business in an ethical manner
- Team Values – Respects others and embraces diversity
SLR is a professional consulting and advisory firm that has been advising clients for over 20 years. Starting as a UK business, we now operate as a global company with more than 1400 people delivering client solutions across five regions.
In the United States, SLR has nearly 500 employees located throughout 34 offices. Our team represents a broad and diverse range of technical and environmental capabilities. SLR’s professionals offer a blend of experience incorporating engineers, geologists, toxicologists, hydrogeologists, remediation specialists, regulatory and compliance specialists, and environmental scientists. We work for clients throughout our six primary business sectors: Energy, Mining, Industry, Infrastructure, Built Environment and Power.
Comprehensive benefits include medical, dental, orthodontia, vision, flexible spending account, generous PTO accrual, 10 paid holidays, 401(k) retirement account with company matching program, company paid life insurance, short & long term disability insurance, and employee assistance program.
Diversity, equity, and inclusion (DE&I) are at the core of who we are and want to be.
SLR is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, civil union status, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or expression, genetic information, or veteran status.
At SLR, we embrace diverse cultures, perspectives, skills, and experiences within and outside our organization. We respect and celebrate differences and want to ensure that we continuously strive to build a place where everyone feels included and is encouraged to be their authentic self.
We are committed to these values, and our SLR Culture & Diversity Team works to actively promote diversity, equity, and inclusion across our people and talent processes, operations, and client work around the world. If you have a disability and need reasonable accommodations at any point in the application or interview process, please contact us at email@example.com.
Click to Apply