Senior Environmental Scientist / Environmental Planner
At Whitman, Requardt & Associates, LLP, (WRA) we are "People Focused and Project Driven". We have been in business for more than 100 years and we are known for our quality work and quality employees. This is your chance to join our team - help us to develop the infrastructure and buildings that improve the world!
We are currently seeking an experienced (15+ years of related professional experience), highly motivated Senior Environmental Scientist/Senior Environmental Planner to join our team. Flexible work location is available from any of our Mid-Atlantic region offices (including District of Columbia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Virginia). Prospective candidates with a strong technical background and experience are sought to support the growth of our Mid Atlantic practice.
As an experienced Senior Environmental Scientist/Senior Environmental Planner at WRA, you will work with an established multidisciplinary team and lead project development, environmental analysis/compliance, interagency coordination, federal/ state/ local permitting, environmental mitigation design, environmental mitigation construction oversight/ performance monitoring, and permit compliance monitoring services for a wide variety of infrastructure projects.
The Senior Environmental Scientist/Senior Planner will assist with the identification of new business opportunities including proposal development, presentations, and technical scope/budget development.
- Leads federal, State, and local environmental inventory and permitting efforts for public infrastructure projects including CWA Section 404/401, Forest Conservation Act, Chesapeake Bay Critical Area, Coastal Zone Management, and Section 7 of ESA
- Leads NEPA environmental review for public infrastructure projects by conducting research, evaluating project alternatives, and preparing NEPA documents and technical reports
- Prepares NEPA documentation (compliance with Section 106 of the National Historic Preservation Act, Section 404 of the Clean Water Act [CWA], Section 4(f) of the US Department of Transportation Act, and other related state and federal regulations)
- Coordinates with multidisciplinary team to ensure compliance on wide range of environmental disciplines (e.g., natural resources, socioeconomic, air, noise, cultural, tribal)
- Conducts delineations of waters of the U.S. and jurisdictional determinations
- Conducts forest stand delineations and large tree surveys
- Conducts rare species surveys
- Leads Section 404/401 CWA permitting
- Leads MD Forest Conservation Act compliance
- Leads Chesapeake Bay Critical Area studies
- Supports geomorphic assessments of stream channels
- Supports wetland mitigation planning, design, and construction monitoring for wetland/ stream restoration
- Supports wetland mitigation monitoring, reporting, compliance studies
- Oversees new business/proposal development and scope/budget preparation
- Manage, train and mentor technical staff
- Bachelor’s degree in environmental sciences, environmental planning/management, natural resources, or a related discipline
- 15+ years of experience performing environmental documentation (NEPA), project development, planning, natural resource inventories and evaluations, environmental permitting, mitigation planning/design/ construction support, mitigation monitoring, and permit compliance monitoring
- Previous experience working on projects that require compliance with state and/or federal regulations
- Demonstrated relationships with local, state, and federal public clients and regulatory agencies
- Experience using GIS/ CAD and GPS
- Ability to work independently and with a team
- Ability to successfully complete multiple projects on schedule and within budget under limited supervision
- Experience working with a diverse client base
- Willingness to travel
- Exceptional communication and organizational skills
- Positive attitude and willingness to work cooperatively with others
- Master’s degree in Environmental Planning/Management, Environmental or Biological Sciences, Urban Planning, Civil Engineering, or related field
- Society of Wetland Scientists (SWS), American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP), Professional Engineer (PE), DNR Forest Service Qualified Professional (QP), or similar certification
WRA recognizes that employees play an important role in its success. Our commitment to full-time employees is reflected in the comprehensive benefits package we offer: Competitive salary, Leave accrual, paid holidays, Healthcare Benefits, Group Life Insurance, as well as additional optional Life Insurance, Short- and Long-Term Disability Insurance, Flexible spending accounts for medical and dependent care reimbursement, 401(k) Retirement Plan, Tuition Reimbursement, Employee Assistance Program, Free parking. WRA is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and complies with all applicable anti-discrimination laws.
Please follow the link to the WRA Career Center:
Job Type : Full-Time
Education Level : Bachelors Degree, Masters
Experience Level : Mid to Senior Level
Job Function : ""