Seasonal Field Biologist
Midwest Natural Resources (MNR) is a natural resources consulting company focused on providing ecological field services. Well known for our botanical and ecological expertise, we serve a wide variety of clients including federal, state, and local agencies, private-sector industries, as well as non-profit organizations. We work throughout the Upper Midwest and in a wide diversity of ecological systems, from intact prairie to expansive wetland complexes, to the great Northwoods. Our team comprises highly skilled botanists, wetland ecologists, wildlife biologists, and land management specialists.
MNR is seeking applicants for a seasonal field biologist with a wetland or plant ecology focus. This position is field-based and requires extensive travel outside the Twin Cities metro region for extended periods of time throughout the growing season, with all expenses paid by the company. MNR field biologists typically work in teams of two to support projects that may include threatened/endangered species habitat assessments, rare species surveys, wetland delineations, vegetation and wetland monitoring, and native plant community assessments.
We desire highly motivated individuals with good communication skills and the ability to work both independently and in a team setting. Our ideal candidate is a well-rounded biologist with previous field experience and the flexibility to conduct a wide range of natural resource fieldwork.
- Assist with vegetation monitoring including transect surveys, sampling relevé plots, and meander surveys, in a variety of ecosystems including wetlands, prairie, and forests
- Assist with habitat assessments and/or surveys for threatened and endangered plants and wildlife
- Assist with invasive species surveys and mapping
- Assist with wetland delineations across a wide variety of landscapes
- Collect, organize, and submit field-based data on tablets and GPS devices
- Assist with data review and QAQC, technical reports
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field (Biology, Ecology, Botany, Forestry, Wildlife, Conservation, etc.)
- Experience using floristic dichotomous keys
- Ability to hike long distances daily in extreme weather conditions over rough terrain
- Ability to travel, staying in hotels for extended periods of time
- Valid driver’s license and good driving record
- Coursework in plant taxonomy, botany, and ecology
- Prior field experience
- Ability to write technical documents
- Experience following detailed survey protocols
- Basic knowledge of wetland delineation and classification procedures
- Working knowledge of Esri software such as ArcMap, ArcPro, and Field Maps
- $23-30/hour depending on experience, with overtime compensation over 40 hours per week
- Stipend for field gear
Job has the potential to become permanent based on the individual’s abilities and skills.
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume, a list of applicable coursework, and three professional references. The cover letter must address how the applicant meets the qualifications and job requirements. Email the application to email@example.com with the subject line “Field Biologist Position”.
This job posting will be open until the positions are filled.
For more information about our work, please visit our website at www.mnrinc.us.
Application Link or Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Job Type : Seasonal, Temporary
Education Level : Bachelors Degree, Masters
Experience Level : Entry Level, Mid to Senior Level