Position Title: Restoration Ecologist
Location: St. Louis (Des Peres), Missouri
Position Type: Full time, Regular
Swallowtail is seeking an entry- to mid-level environmental scientist / Restoration Ecologist for our St. Louis office. Although we are the largest wetland and stream mitigation banking company in Missouri and Kansas, we are also small and dynamic with a lot of different job duties and the potential for a large amount of learning and experience. We focus on wetland, forest, and prairie restoration; natural stream channel design and restoration; monitoring of vegetation, soil, hydrology, and stream morphology; Clean Water Act Section 404 and 401 wetland and stream permitting and delineation; and endangered species habitat banks and other environmental compliance permitting. For more information, please visit our website at www.swallowtailenvironmental.com. Salary will be commensurate with experience. Position open for immediate hiring upon finding the right individual.
Primary Job Duties:
- Assist with monitoring of wetland and stream mitigation sites including large-scale mitigation banks throughout central and western Missouri and eastern Kansas (field work and report writing)
- Assist with wetland delineation and stream system jurisdictional assessment field work and report writing in support of Clean Water Act Section 404 and 401 permitting
- Assist with report preparation for mitigation banking proposals
- Construction oversight of wetland and stream restoration/stabilization projects
Required Knowledge and Skills:
Successful candidates should possess all or most of the following qualities and abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in biology, ecology, botany, soils, or other related natural resources field.
- Two to five years of professional experience
- Interest in ecosystem restoration
- Experience with wetland delineation, native plant identification, soils, stream geomorphology, aquatic ecology, Clean Water Act permitting, etc.
- Enjoyment of being outdoors and the ability to travel (usually 2-3 consecutive nights). Experience and willingness to work outside in all times of the year including hot summers. During certain times of the year much of the time spent in this position will regularly involve travel within Missouri and eastern Kansas with long field days, sometimes alone.
- Good sense of location, map reading skills, and navigation.
- Proven report writing skills
- Effective spoken and written communication skills
- Demonstrated experience with Microsoft Word and Excel. AutoCAD experience a plus.
- Proven ability to manage time effectively and to prioritize tasks
- Experience working independently and as part of a small team
- Ability to quickly adapt to changing priorities and schedules in a small business environment
- Knowledge of watershed hydrology and channel hydraulics a plus
- Familiarity with Rosgen stream concepts and natural channel design a plus
Send a cover letter and resume to Shane Staten via email at email@example.com. No phone calls please.
Job Type : Full-Time
Education Level : Bachelors Degree
Experience Level : Entry Level, Mid to Senior Level
Job Function : General