If you are looking for a place to start your career, where you can contribute to a dynamic employee-owned firm, tackle challenging project work, and collaborate with industry recognized professionals, Geosyntec is the place for you! We are seeking an exceptional Early-Career Natural Resources Scientist in Richmond, Virginia who will have the opportunity to apply academic and practical knowledge to innovative and challenging projects, including the financial and technical evaluation, design, permitting, and construction of energy projects, while also learning the business skills needed for a successful consulting career. Our client base includes a diverse mix of industrial, institutional, and governmental entities.
Our clients ask us to address their new ventures and most challenging problems involving the environment, natural resources, and civil infrastructure. Ranked by ENR in the top 20 design firms for the environment, Geosyntec is internationally known for its technical leadership, broad experience, and exceptional client service. Learn more by visiting www.geosyntec.com
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Is this the right position to help you achieve your professional goals? Some of the key responsibilities for this position include:
- Assisting with identifying jurisdictional wetlands, classification and delineation of wetlands and streams, and determining mitigation requirements to support the environmental permitting of infrastructure projects such as development of renewable energy facilities;
- Assisting with preparation of Clean Water Act Sections 10, 404, and 401 permit applications, as well as Section 408 from the US Army Corps of Engineers and Coastal Use Permits from state regulatory agencies;
- Conducting biological and ecological resource studies including wildlife habitat assessments, listed threatened and endangered species assessments, native and invasive plant vegetation surveys, and wetland mitigation monitoring;
- Assisting with preparation of environmental documents for compliance with the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) including environmental resource reports, Environmental Assessments (EA) and Environmental Impact Statements (EIS);
- Task and project management, including conducting environmental inspections for compliance with permit conditions including NPDES stormwater compliance, wetlands permits, navigable waters permits, and other state and federal environmental regulations including Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) environmental regulations;
- Developing work plans, evaluating data, and preparing a variety of technical documents and environmental permit applications;
- Data analysis, including preparing maps and figures using GIS/Environmental Visualization Software (EVS) applications, and database management; and
- Preparing for and participating in meetings with clients, regulatory personnel, and other parties.
Here are some other things you should know about this position:
- Training: This position requires OSHA/MSHA health and safety, first aid, and CPR training and medical monitoring, paid for by the firm. We also offer professional development opportunities including technical conferences, in-house seminars, webinars, and mentoring, that allow our professionals to build the technical and business skills necessary to become successful consultants.
- Fieldwork: Up to 75%
- Overnight travel: Up to 20%
Your success is our success. We encourage our professionals to continually develop their interests and skills. Advancement is based on an individual’s own performance and initiative.
EDUCATION AND LICENSURE
- Bachelor's degree in environmental sciences, natural resources (e.g., forestry, fisheries, biology, ecology etc.), environmental engineering, or environmental management disciplines. (required)
- Advanced degree in the above. (preferred)
- College-level coursework covering vegetation, soils, and hydrology such as the following: botany, dendrology, forestry, soil science, geology, land management, environmental planning, environmental law and policy, hydrology, hydrogeography, wildlife habitat ecology, ecology, ornithology, remote sensing technology, photogrammetry, and Geographic Information Systems. (preferred)
- Professional registration (i.e., PWD, PWS, CWB, CPSS, Arborist). (preferred)
- Certifications or additional training or experience in wetland delineations. (preferred)
SKILLS, EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Direct consulting or during educational course work, experience in performing field visits to collect data and conduct stream and wetland delineations, preferably consulting in Virginia.
- Strong knowledge of native flora and fauna of the eastern U.S. (preferred)
- Knowledge of federal permitting programs such as the Clean Water Act and the US Army Corps of
- Engineers (USACE) 404 wetland permitting process. (preferred)
- Strong technical writing skills and the ability to prepare scientific reports and permit applications in accordance with state and federal standards. (required)
- Experience with multi-disciplinary project teams. (required)
- Ability to succeed in a fast-paced consulting environment, handling multiple project assignments, meeting strict deadlines, and traveling to client facilities as needed. (preferred)
- Valid U.S. driver’s license and a satisfactory driving record for business travel. (required)
Geosyntec strives to hire and retain the best and brightest people in their fields. We look for exceptional interpersonal skills, communication skills, and problem-solving abilities, plus the passion for technical excellence and quality. We seek individuals with leadership potential, a commitment to lifelong learning and growth, and the desire to build a long and rewarding career with a growing Firm.
Geosyntec is a great place to build a career. If you're looking for an exciting place to work, a place with challenging and rewarding projects, and a place that has been nationally recognized for its employees' quality of life, technical expertise, and business success, then Geosyntec may be the place for you. You can learn more about careers and employment at Geosyntec by visiting http://www.geosyntec.com/careers/.
We are proud to offer our employees a highly competitive benefits package. Learn more by visiting http://www.geosyntec.com/careers/employee-benefits.
Learn More and Apply