Natural Resources Instructor (Forestry)
Basic Functions & Responsibilities
Fox Valley Technical College celebrates diversity, supports equity and inclusiveness, and encourages individual expression in our workplace.
This individual will be required to deliver high-quality instruction and facilitate student learning the in Natural Resources area. This position requires a strong forerstry/forest management background. In addition, this individual will assist in the on-going development of curriculum and learning strategies to meet the needs of students and employers.
Essential Job Functions/Secondary Job Functions
1. Facilitation of Learning. Plan, prepare and deliver instruction and facilitate the learning of students in associate degree, technical diploma, basic education, continuing education, and/or contract training programs. Assess the learning outcomes of students at the unit, course, and program level.
2. Curriculum Development. Develop, revise, and continually update curriculum and instructional materials which are competency-based, current, consistent with employer expectations, and aligned with the college policy on level of required documentation.
3. Classroom Management. Fulfill assigned schedule, maintain accurate student attendance and grade records, maintain instructional environment with emphasis on safety, housekeeping, and equipment security, and ensure opportunities for student/participant evaluation.
4. Interpersonal/Team Skills. Participate in activities of the instructional team, including planning, development, scheduling, and budgeting as a cooperative and professional team player.
5. Business/Industry/Community Linkages. Develop and deliver customized training for various clients as needed, and maintain involvement with business/industry/community through advisory committees, marketing and recruitment efforts, and professional associations and organizations.
6. Student Support and Guidance. Advise and support students as a mentor and role model in the achievement of their learning and career goals.
7. Professional Development. Participate in professional development activities which provide for continually updated knowledge and skills for the role of the contemporary instructor as directed by one’s Individual Professional Development Plan.
Qualifications, Training and Experience
1. Bachelor’s Degree in related and appropriate field; Master’s Degree preferred. (Based on experience and expertise, an individual with an Associate Degree or equivalent may be considered), AND
2. Minimum of two years of occupational experience in the field of the program or programs being taught, of which at least one year shall be within the last five years. (One year of related occupational experience may be waived with at least two years of post−secondary teaching experience in the appropriate occupational field within the last five years), OR
3. An equivalent combination of education, training and experience from which comparable knowledge may be acquired.
4. Teaching or training experience related to forest ecology, forest management and/or field-based application of forest ecology and forest management is desirable.
5. Knowledge and experience in forestry, recreation facilities maintenance, ecology, and environmental education preferred.
6. Knowledge of sustainable forest management, GIS and remote sensing is helpful.
7. Knowledge of emerging trends in the field of natural resources.
8. Ability to plan, organize, instruct, and facilitate quality education programs, including development of relevant curriculum.
9. Upon hire, must maintain Faculty Quality Assurance System requirements and licensure required by other agencies to maintain individual and program accreditation, if applicable.
Essential Aptitudes, Skills, Knowledge and Personal Characteristics
1. Success and commitment as a team player, including the ability to engage in win-win thinking and to foster consensus.
2. Flexibility in schedule, including availability for evening and weekend assignments.
3. Flexibility, including the acceptance of and willingness to change.
4. Demonstrated ability for written and oral communication with students, staff, employers and other external entities.
5. Proficiency in computer use and applications which support teaching and learning.
6. Highly motivated with strong interest in contributing to the success of students and the college.
7. Ability to work with diverse student, staff, and community populations.
8. Understanding and successful use of learning technology, both on-line and as a tool for distance education.
9. A record of innovations which will facilitate student learning.
10. Demonstrated development of course materials and assessments of student learning.
11. An educational philosophy which places the primary emphasis on student learning in the design, delivery, and evaluation of courses.
12. Willingness to take risks and try new things.
13. Willingness to accept responsibility for professional and personal growth.
14. A commitment to the mission, purposes, and values of the college.
Benefits (eligibility requirements may apply)
403B and 457 Retirement Plans, Bereavement Leave, Campus Care Clinic, Dental Insurance, Emergency Leave, Employee Assistance Program, Fitness Center at Appleton Main Campus, Flexible Spending Account, Full Time Benefit Package, Group Legal Benefits, Health Insurance or if applicable Cash Option Plan, Health Savings Account, Long Term Disability Insurance, On-Site Child Care Facility at Appleton Main Campus, Paid Holidays, Pet Health Insurance, Short Term Disability Insurance, Sick Leave, Spousal and Child Life Insurance, Supplemental Employee Life Insurance, Term Life & AD&D Insurance, Tuition Reimbursement, Vision Insurance, Voluntary Accident Insurance, Voluntary Critical Illness Insurance, Voluntary Hospital Indemnity Insurance, Wellness Program, Wisconsin Retirement System Pension Benefit (plan eligibility requirements apply)
Special Instructions to Applicants
To support the broader responsibilities of a regular faculty position, attainment of a Bachelor’s Degree or higher (depending on position) is required. Based on experience and expertise, an individual with an Associate Degree or equivalent and willingness to obtain a Bachelor’s Degree within specific timeframe may be considered.
It is the expectation that all employees comply and cooperate with the College’s emergency action plan and any rapidly changing protocols, as well any applicable government orders affecting the College’s operations. This includes adhering to safety protocols and using face coverings and personal protective equipment as applicable.
To apply, visit: https://apptrkr.com/2899063