Mid-Level Wetland Scientist Position, Bellingham, WA
Delineation Professionals, Inc. of Bellingham, Washington is seeking a mid-level wetland scientist to fill a new staff scientist position. We are a small, full-service wetland consulting firm looking for a flexible, motivated biologist or environmental scientist to join our team.
This Staff Scientist position is full-time. Pay is commensurate with experience. The focus of this position is wetland delineation, from fieldwork to report.
Job Duties Include:
- Conducting wetland delineation fieldwork all times of year in both pasture and forest;
- Transecting difficult ground with thick brush;
- Mapping wetland flags on air photos and orienteering with compass and hip chain;
- Using a Trimble GPS unit to locate wetland flags (in addition to compass and tape/hip chain);
- Prepare delineation reports, data forms, wetland flag locator maps, and other written documents for clients and surveyors;
- Completing the Washington State wetland rating forms and determining the buffer;
- Drafting report maps and rating form figures;
- Assisting Senior Biologist in the field and with proposal preparation;
- Driving to and from the study areas, meeting clients and explaining results;
- Mitigation design, functional assessment, and report preparation;
- Section 404/401 permitting, local permitting for wetland and buffer impacts;
Experience and Qualifications:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, and problem solving abilities;
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in a biological science or closely related field;
- University of Washington Wetland Science and Management Certificate or completion other similar wetland science program;
- Three (3) to seven (7) years of progressively responsible experience in wetland consulting and wetland delineation fieldwork and sampling;
- Certified by Ecology in the Washington State wetland rating system 2014 Update;
- Knowledge of the Corps of Engineers Wetlands Delineation Manual and the Western Mountains, Valleys, and Coast Regional Supplement;
- Knowledge of Whatcom County Critical Areas Ordinance;
- Proficient in using AutoCAD to prepare wetland delineation maps and report exhibits;
- Ability to work alone and unsupervised in the field and from home;
- Valid driver’s license and an insured vehicle for trips in Whatcom County (mileage reimbursed).
Additional Preferred Qualifications include:
- Experience in wetland and buffer mitigation permitting, design;
- Experience in project management;
- Preparing JARPA forms and exhibits in AutoCAD;
- Preparing mitigation installation estimates;
- Experience monitoring mitigation sites and preparing monitoring reports;
- Meeting with agencies for field inspections or permit review.
Please email us your cover letter and resume today: firstname.lastname@example.org. Applicants selected to move forward in the process will be contacted within one week.
Delineation Professionals, Inc. provides equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment. In order to provide equal employment and individuals, employment decisions will be based on merit, qualifications, and abilities. Delineation Professionals, Inc. does not discriminate in employment opportunities color, gender, age, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, or veteran status in accordance with applicable state and federal laws. We encourage women, minorities, veterans, disabled veterans, and individuals with disabilities to apply for this position.
Delineation Professionals, Inc.
1313 E. Maple Street
Bellingham, Washington 98225
Job Type : Full-Time
Education Level : Bachelors Degree, Masters
Experience Level : Mid to Senior Level
Job Function : ""