Junior-Level Environmental Scientist
Otak, Inc. is looking to hire a Junior-Level Environmental Scientist to join our Water and Natural Resources team to work on a variety of site analysis and design projects throughout the Pacific Northwest. Current work will include opportunities to partner with multi-disciplinary teams on both public and private projects across the Puget Sound region and in southwest Washington, including fish passage projects, public trails, and transportation and utility improvement projects. Our scientists work with other Otak offices in Portland, Oregon and Redmond, Everett, and Vancouver, Washington.
This position can be based in our Redmond, Everett, or Vancouver office and requires field work in the Puget Sound and Vancouver area. If you are out of the area and interested in relocating to the beautiful Pacific NW for this opportunity, relocation assistance is provided!
What You’ll Do:
- Conduct wetland delineations and prepare reports per USACE/Ecology manuals; complete wetland functional ratings.
- Complete OHWM delineations in marine and freshwater systems, including stream habitat surveys.
- Assist in preparation of critical areas reports, impacts assessments, and mitigation plans.
- Prepare report and wetland rating exhibits using GIS.
- Complete wildlife habitat surveys and assist in preparing Biological Assessments for Endangered Species Act compliance.
- Prepare regulatory compliance documentation and permit applications (e.g., JARPA, HPA, SEPA/NEPA, Shoreline).
What you'll bring:
- Bachelor or Master of Science degree in Wetland Science, Botany, Biology, Soil Science, Wildlife biology, or related field.
- Minimum 2 years of related employment experience.
- Wetland delineation certification is required.
- Knowledge and experience with Pacific Northwest vegetation and wildlife.
- Experience with ESA compliance and PNW fisheries a plus.
- Experience with local, state, and Federal regulatory programs in Washington is preferred, including work on NEPA related documents for federally-funded projects.
- Ability to use a GPS (GeoXH 6000 or similar) in the field and proficient in GIS a plus.
Must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 including 2 doses of a 2-dose series or 1 dose of a 1-dose series plus 14 days beyond the final dose prior to start date.
At our core, we believe that supporting our communities begins with supporting our employees. No matter what stage you’re at in your career, we have a comprehensive total rewards program to enhance your quality of life, help support your family, and assist you in achieving your personal and professional goals. Otak employees enjoy competitive salaries; no-cost medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurance; a 401(k)-retirement match that is 100% vested immediately; Paid Time Off (PTO) accrual based on your industry experience rather than your seniority plus 9 paid holidays per year; a commuter allowance (based on your office location); support for your professional registration and/or certification fees; and much more!
Why work at Otak?
We’re not just looking for skills and experience, having shared values is just as important! When you work at Otak, you aren’t just joining a firm — you’re joining a community. We believe our best work happens in a culture of collaboration and inclusion, where the expertise of diverse individuals can thrive in a foundation of teamwork. The work environment we create is built on a simple concept: working on interesting projects with interesting people. However, we don’t just believe in cultivating our own community; we’re also committed to enriching the communities around us with smart, creative solutions. We know our employees make an investment in us, so we’re committed to making an investment in them. Seasoned experts and young professionals work together to encourage personal growth and skill development at all experience levels. Plus, we’re expanding — and we’re dedicated to developing an internal infrastructure with the strength and talent to support that growth.
What is it really like to work at Otak? Watch this short video: Our Why
Otak employees have a progressive mindset and sustainable community perspective. We encourage our staff to volunteer in their communities by giving them an option to earn extra vacation time for their volunteer hours. Otak combines the best of a small firm mentality with strong collaboration across disciplines with the plentiful opportunities to work on exciting projects offered by a growing firm. We also encourage life balance and foster a fun work environment. Our Northwest sensibilities are reflected in our commitment to sustainability and diversity. And believing that diversity fosters innovation and strengthens our skills, we embrace a culture of inclusion and equity in our company and in our communities.
Otak is proud to be an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. The Equal Opportunity policy at Otak, Inc. provides a fair and equal employment opportunity for all employees and applicants regardless of race, color, religion, nation origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, protected veteran status or disability or any other status(es) protected by law. Otak ensure nondiscrimination in all programs and activities in accordance with Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and mandatory supplements to EEO (revisions).
At Otak, we recognize that inclusion is a practice and we are determined to lead our industry by embedding that practice into our work. Cultivating an inclusive workplace environment is ongoing and consistent work, requiring dedication and commitment from every member of the organization. This commitment is reflected in Otak’s promise to significantly increase employee diversity, impact the communities in which we work, and establish ongoing relationships within these communities.
Otak’s Vision for an Inclusive Environment includes the following:
- We embrace diverse identities, and willingly engage across difference
- All employees can experience the workplace safely and show up as their authentic selves
- Fostering unique perspectives and an open exchange of ideas
- Engaging one another with curiosity rather than judgment
- Relationships are built on mutual trust, dignity, and respect
If you are a minority, veteran, person with a disability, or a member of the LGBTQA Community, we strongly encourage and welcome you to apply to any open position of interest. If you want to learn more about Otak, this position, or the company’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion, contact our Human Resources Department at GRPHumanResources@otak.com.
*Please note, Otak is not accepting resumes from 3rd party recruitment agencies at this time.
Contact/Submission info (either email or link to submit online): Apply Online at https://www.otak.com/careers/open-positions/
Job Type : Full-Time
Education Level : Bachelors Degree
Experience Level : Entry Level