GIS Analyst - Wetland Specialist
Reporting to the Executive Director of GeoSpatial Services, the GIS Analyst - Wetland Specialist will be responsible for performing landscape-level wetland mapping, classification and functional assessments using ArcGIS Enterprise, ArcPro and ArcGIS Online in accordance with the National Wetland Inventory Cowardin Classification. Additional responsibilities will include performing habitat characterizations and ecological monitoring associated with field-based rapid assessment methods including floristic quality assessments and other rapid assessment approaches. The position will also be responsible for quality control associated with landscape level wetland delineation, pre and post mapping fieldwork, contributing to applied science associated with wetland functional assessment, report writing and direct interaction with partners, stakeholders and other external groups.
Specific responsibilities include:
- image interpretation, delineation and classification of wetlands and other natural features;
- application of federal wetland mapping standard Classification of Wetland and Deepwater Habitats of the United States (Cowardin, 1979) and other classification systems as required;
- managing imagery and other ancillary GIS databases;
- application of the principles of wetland science, hydrology, soil science, vegetation identification and geomorphology in support of image interpretation, classification and assessment;
- field vegetation surveys applying appropriate rapid assessment methods to calculate vegetative based indices of biologic integrity in a variety of ecoregions;
- project management including: customer liaison, developing project teams and assigning member tasks work scheduling, and performance monitoring;
- quality assurance and quality control including pre mapping and post mapping field verification;
- participating as a team member in GIS product design, development, and maintenance; and,
- providing image interpretation training, development and mentoring for junior staff.
Requires an accredited Bachelor of Science degree (Master’s and/or Professional Wetland Scientist Certification preferred) in environmental biology, ecology, natural resources, or environmental science with associated education/training in GIS and a minimum of three (3) years of experience in landscape-level wetland delineation from remote imagery (aerial or satellite). Experience applying the FGDC federal wetland mapping standard and working with spatial data development in an ESRI ArcGIS environment to conduct indirect and direct assessment of wetland hydrology, soils and vegetation both remotely and in the field. Understanding of the theory and principles of wetland functional assessment and the development of spatial data using remote sensing software in a production environment would be beneficial.
Apply online at www.smumn.edu/careers and include a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references.
Job Type : Full-Time
Education Level : Bachelors Degree
Experience Level : Entry Level
Job Function : General