HDR is looking for an Environmental Scientist II to join our South Atlantic (NC/SC/GA) Area Environmental Sciences and Planning team. This position may be based in any of the following HDR offices: Charleston, SC, Columbia, SC, Atlanta, GA, or Charlotte, NC. This individual will plan and direct small to medium size environmental tasks/projects for HDR’s renewable energy, power, oil and gas projects, and supporting transportation, water/wastewater, federal facilities and other programs. This position will involve leading field collection of environmental data, including stream and wetland delineations, protected species surveys, and habitat assessments, as well as the preparation of environmental permit applications, reports and studies. They will also be expected to review and stay up to date on current environmental regulations and be familiar with GIS/CAD. This individual must have demonstrated knowledge of environmental resources and regulations and have experience with the Endangered Species Act and the Clean Water Act. Experience with ecological/biological field work including habitat assessment and species survey are also favorable skills. They must have strong writing skills and be able to work closely with clients and team members to prepare and facilitate professional, well written, technically accurate documentation. They will also participate in agency outreach and coordination and assist senior staff in environmental task assignments as requested.
- BS degree in biology, environmental sciences, environmental planning, or closely related field required, Master’s degree a plus
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in environmental science and planning required
- Experience with wetland delineation, stream assessment, and CWA Section 404/401 permitting is a must
- Must have strong, demonstrated technical report writing background and familiarity with applicable environmental regulations, laws, and guidelines
- Proficient with MS Office Suite and familiar with use/application of GIS, CAD and Microstation files
- Self-starter with excellent writing and communication skills
- Strong conceptual, organizational, problem solving and research abilities
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to work in the field and travel overnight for extended periods
- An attitude and commitment to being an active participant of our employee-owned culture is a must
- Experience with state specific stream assessment methods or state permitting is preferred
- Demonstrated knowledge of permitting and NEPA processes in GA, NC, SC, including familiarity with Section 404 requirements, particularly processes associated with the USACE, FHWA, state DOT, counties, and municipalities is preferred
- Professional Wetland Scientists or Wetland Professionals in Training are preferred
- Local candidates are preferred
At HDR, we know work isn't only about who you work for it's also about what you do and how you do it. Led by the strength of our values and a culture shaped by employee ownership, we network with each other, build on each other's contributions, and collaborate together to make great things possible. When you join HDR, we give you license to do the same. We help you take charge of your career, giving you multiple growth opportunities along the way.
Primary Location: United States-South Carolina-Charleston
Other Locations: United States-South Carolina-Columbia, United States-Georgia-Atlanta, United States-North Carolina-Charlotte
Click to Apply
Job Type : Full-Time
Education Level : Bachelors Degree
Experience Level : Mid to Senior Level
Job Function : ""