If you are out of the area and interested in relocating to the beautiful Pacific NW for this opportunity, relocation assistance is provided! This position can be based in our Redmond or Everett Office.
Otak, Inc. is looking to hire a junior to mid-level Environmental Scientist to join our Water and Natural Resources team to work on a variety of site analysis and design projects throughout the Pacific Northwest. Current work will include opportunities to partner with multi-disciplinary teams on both public and private projects across the Puget Sound region and in southwest Washington, including fish passage projects, public trails, and transportation and utility improvement projects. Our scientists work with other Otak offices in Portland, Oregon and Vancouver, Everett, and Redmond, Washington.
What You’ll Do:
- Conduct wetland delineations and prepare reports per USACE/Ecology manuals; complete wetland functional ratings.
- Complete OHWM delineations in marine and freshwater systems, including stream habitat surveys.
- Assist in preparation of critical areas reports, impacts assessments, and mitigation plans.
- Prepare report and wetland rating exhibits using GIS.
- Complete wildlife habitat surveys and assist in preparing Biological Assessments for Endangered Species Act compliance.
- Prepare regulatory compliance documentation and permit applications (e.g., JARPA, HPA, SEPA/NEPA, Shoreline).
What you'll bring:
- Bachelor or Master of Science degree in Wetland Science, Botany, Biology, Soil Science, Wildlife biology, or related field; and, 2+ years of employment experience.
- Wetland delineation certification preferred.
- Knowledge and experience with Pacific Northwest vegetation and wildlife.
- Experience with ESA compliance and PNW fisheries a plus.
- Experience with local, state, and Federal regulatory programs in Washington is preferred, including work on NEPA related documents for federally-funded projects.
- Ability to use a GPS (GeoXH 6000 or similar) in the field and proficient in GIS a plus.
While Otak does not currently have a mandatory COVID vaccination policy, we do work with public agencies and private clients who do require all contractors and subcontractors be vaccinated.
At our core, we believe that supporting our communities begins with supporting our employees. No matter what stage you’re at in your career, we have a comprehensive total rewards program to enhance your quality of life, help support your family, and assist you in achieving your personal and professional goals. Otak employees enjoy competitive salaries; no-cost medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurance; a 401(k)-retirement match that is 100% vested immediately; Paid Time Off (PTO) accrual based on your industry experience rather than your seniority plus 9 paid holidays per year; a commuter allowance (based on your office location); support for your professional registration and/or certification fees; and much more!
Why work at Otak?
We’re not just looking for skills and experience, having shared values is just as important! When you work at Otak, you aren’t just joining a firm — you’re joining a community. We believe our best work happens in a culture of collaboration and inclusion, where the expertise of diverse individuals can thrive in a foundation of teamwork. The work environment we create is built on a simple concept: working on interesting projects with interesting people. However, we don’t just believe in cultivating our own community; we’re also committed to enriching the communities around us with smart, creative solutions. We know our employees make an investment in us, so we’re committed to making an investment in them. Seasoned experts and young professionals work together to encourage personal growth and skill development at all experience levels. Plus, we’re expanding — and we’re dedicated to developing an internal infrastructure with the strength and talent to support that growth.
What is it really like to work at Otak? Watch this short video: Our Why
Otak employees have a progressive mindset and sustainable community perspective. We encourage our staff to volunteer in their communities by giving them an option to earn extra vacation time for their volunteer hours. Otak combines the best of a small firm mentality with strong collaboration across disciplines with the plentiful opportunities to work on exciting projects offered by a growing firm. We also encourage life balance and foster a fun work environment. Our Northwest sensibilities are reflected in our commitment to sustainability and diversity. And believing that diversity fosters innovation and strengthens our skills, we embrace a culture of inclusion and equity in our company and in our communities.
Otak is proud to be an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
For us, diversity isn’t a box to check, it is woven into our key values. Diversity is the deep, running vein that fosters innovation, strengthens our team, and opens doors. This is why we’re determined to build a culture of diversity, equity and inclusion. Our team embraces each other’s unique perspectives and strives to promote a culture where we all feel a sense of belonging. We understand that when we are able to courageously show up as our fully evolved selves, there is more collaboration, more creative ideas and an increase in capitalizing on our team’s natural talents. If you are a minority, veteran, person with a disability, or a member of the LGBTQA Community, we strongly encourage and welcome you to apply to any open position of interest.
Job Type : Full-Time
Education Level : Bachelors Degree, Masters
Experience Level : Entry Level