Woodard & Curran is a national engineering, science, and operations firm with a simple vision for clean water, a safe environment, healthy communities, and happy people. As an employee-owned company, we strive to cultivate diverse teams and encourage collaboration in an equitable and inclusive culture. We seek talented individuals from all backgrounds to help us address a broad range of water and environmental issues. We prioritize our people, offering opportunities for professional growth, ownership, and flexibility. That’s how we make a difference to our clients, people, and the planet.
We are recruiting for an entry-level scientist to work in our Duluth, Georgia office who can support environmental assessment, compliance, and remediation projects as part of a multi-disciplinary team. Successful candidates will be interested in ecology, wildlife biology, soil science, hydrology, environmental policy, geography, botany, earth sciences, natural resources stewardship, and water resource management. This position would report to and interact with senior scientists, engineers, and project managers, and would be involved with industrial, linear utility, oil and gas, water resources, site remediation, ecological restoration/conservation, and other environmental engineering projects. The right candidate will be professional, courteous, self-motivated, and diligent. The preferred candidate will be flexible team player and should be prepared to travel for up to 2-4 weeks at a time for certain assignments.
Typical field work activities would likely include wetland and waterbody delineations, stream assessments, threatened and endangered species habitat surveys, global positioning system (GPS) data collection, environmental site assessments, environmental sampling (i.e. soil, surface water, ground water, wastewater, etc.), and erosion and sediment control (E&SC) inspections. Typical office duties would include assistance with technical report preparation, preparation of environmental permit applications, desktop analysis of project sites using Geographic Information Systems (GIS), GIS mapping of field-collected scientific data, assistance with development of presentations for technical workshops and conferences, communication with local/state/federal regulatory agencies, and some limited client communications.
- Delineation of wetlands using the appropriate regional supplements to the USACE Wetland Delineation Manual
- Identification of ephemeral, intermittent, and perennial streams
- Completion of biological assessments such as aquatic and terrestrial habitat field surveys
- GPS/GIS data management and mapping of environmental resources
- Assistance with preparation of USACE Section 404 permit applications
- Assistance with preparation of State 401 Water Quality Certification applications (including Georgia EPD state waters buffer variances)
- Assistance with preparation of NPDES construction stormwater permit applications
- Completion of E&SC inspections on active construction sites
- Environmental sampling while following appropriate sample integrity and chain-of-custody procedures
- Sample coordination with appropriate laboratory for sample analysis
- Site visits to document other environmental compliance and associated reporting
Skills and Qualifications:
- BS degree in natural resources, ecology, environmental science, fisheries, wildlife biology, chemistry, geology, environmental engineering, or related discipline
- MS degree is preferred, but not required
- 1-2 years of field experience in the ecological and natural sciences is preferred, but not required
- Knowledge of eastern United States flora and fauna, especially wetland and riparian flora
- Formal wetland delineation training is preferred, but not required
- Proficiency with GPS hardware and software (EOS Arrow, Trimble, Garmin, Bad Elf, etc.)
- GIS experience (ESRI ArcGIS Field Maps, ArcPro, ArcMap, etc) is highly desirable, but not required
- OSHA 40-hour HAZWOPER certification is preferred, but not required
- Ability to work long, physically demanding hours in a variety of weather conditions in remote locations
- Ability to traverse uneven terrain and carry field equipment (up to 40 lbs)
- Advanced written and verbal communication skills
- Willingness to travel as project requires
Min: $53,016/yr - Max: $79,524/yr
This position’s anticipated pay range is provided above; final exempt salary or non-exempt hourly pay will be dependent on experience level as well as considering a % based geographic differential based on where the final candidate will be working. Geographic differentials are used to recognize and reflect cost of labor differences between geographic markets.
Annual Incentive Bonus Opportunity:
Eligible positions may receive an annual cash bonus based on the role’s organizational level, and is represented as a percentage range of eligible earnings.
Benefits & Wellbeing
• 401(k) Pre-tax or Roth Contributions: Company will match equal to 100% of the first 3% of salary contributed, All employees are eligible to participate in the 401(k) plan and are 100% vested in the value of own contributions and any employer matching contributions.
Time away from work:
• Vacation time is provided to full and part-time regular employees. Vacation is accrued, based on number of hours worked per week as well as prior years of experience.
• Woodard & Curran offers paid sick time to eligible employees who are absent due to their own non-work related, illness, injury, or medical procedure.
• Woodard & Curran provides up to 80 hours of Paid Parental Leave for child bonding in a 12-month period.
• Company-paid short- and long-term disability insurance from Sun Life to assist with replacing a portion of your income in the event of non-job-related illness or injury. Eligible employees are automatically enrolled and eligible immediately.
Coverage and support for your needs and wellbeing:
Personal and Family health: Company offers three medical plan options based on geography; plus HSA and PSA plans are available based on eligibility, additional options include dental and vision plans.
Company provides basic employee group life insurance and AD&D benefits; additional voluntary life insurance for employee and family are available through Sun Life.
WayForward powered by Dario: EAP Program combined with personalized mental health and wellbeing coaching.
LiveWell wellbeing program: credit incentive is available, up to $600 annually – nutrition and fitness reimbursement, and access to the Virgin Pulse wellness platform.
Education: Tuition assistance offers eligible employees up to 100% reimbursement of tuition, books and fees up to $5250 per year, for courses related to the employee’s job or planned career development.
Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Statement
Woodard & Curran is an equal opportunity employer. Individuals with Disabilities and Protected Veterans are encouraged to apply.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
We value diversity, equity and inclusion and encourage individuals from all backgrounds to apply.
Woodard & Curran believes that complex teams working together in an equitable, inclusive space provides the best opportunity for achieving our vision of clean water, a safe environment, healthy communities, and happy people. Our success is tied to a culture that embraces our differences so that everyone can bring their whole, authentic selves to work. When our people are supported to reach their full potential, we provide the most innovative, sound, and effective solutions.