Woodard & Curran is recruiting an entry-level scientist to work in our Duluth, Georgia office who can support environmental assessment, compliance, and remediation projects as part of a multi-disciplinary team. Successful candidates will be interested in ecology, wildlife biology, soil science, hydrology, environmental policy, geography, botany, earth sciences, natural resources stewardship, and water resource management. This position would report to and interact with senior scientists, engineers, and project managers, and would be involved with industrial, linear utility, oil and gas, water resources, site remediation, ecological restoration/conservation, and other environmental engineering projects. The right candidate will be professional, courteous, self-motivated, and diligent.
Typical field work activities would likely include wetland and waterbody delineations, stream assessments, threatened and endangered species habitat surveys, GPS data collection, environmental site assessments, environmental sampling (i.e. soil, surface water, ground water, wastewater, etc.), and erosion and sediment control (E&SC) inspections. Typical office duties would include assistance with technical report preparation, preparation of environmental permit applications, desktop analysis of project sites using Geographic Information Systems (GIS), GIS mapping of field-collected scientific data, assistance with development of presentations for technical workshops and conferences, communication with local/state/federal regulatory agencies, and some client communications.
- Delineation of wetlands using the appropriate regional supplements to the USACE Wetland Delineation Manual
- Identification of ephemeral, intermittent, and perennial streams
- Completion of biological assessments such as aquatic and terrestrial habitat field surveys
- Assistance with preparation of USACE Section 404 permit applications
- Assistance with preparation of State 401 Water Quality Certification applications (including Georgia EPD state waters buffer variances)
- Assistance with preparation of NPDES construction stormwater permit applications
- Completion of E&SC inspections on active construction sites
- Phase I Environmental Site Assessment site visits and reports
- Environmental sampling while following appropriate sample integrity and chain-of-custody procedures
- Sample coordination with appropriate laboratory for sample analysis
- Site visits to document other environmental compliance and associated reporting
Skills and Qualifications:
- BS degree in natural resources, ecology, forest resources, environmental science, wildlife management, biology, chemistry, geology, environmental engineering, or related discipline
- MS degree is preferred, but not required
- 1-2 years of field experience in the ecological and natural sciences is preferred, but not required
- Knowledge of southeastern U.S. flora and fauna, especially wetland and riparian flora
- Formal wetland delineation training is preferred, but not required
- Proficiency with GPS technology (Trimble, Garmin, Terrasync/Pathfinder Office, ArcPAD, etc.)
- GIS experience (ESRI ArcMap, ArcGIS Pro, ArcCatalog, etc)
- OSHA 40-hour HAZWOPER certification is preferred, but not required
- Ability to work long, physically demanding hours in a variety of weather conditions in remote locations
- Ability to traverse uneven terrain and carry field equipment (up to 40 lbs)
- Advanced written and verbal communication skills
- Willingness to travel as project requires
Woodard & Curran is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.
Woodard & Curran is a Drug Free Work Place
Individuals with Disabilities and Protected Veterans are encouraged to apply.
Click Here to Apply
Job Type : Full-Time
Education Level : Bachelors Degree
Experience Level : Entry Level