Ecological and Water Resources Assistant Division Director
Job Class: Natural Resources Assistant Division Director
Working Title: Division of Ecological and Water Resources Deputy Director
- Job ID: 52299
- Location: St. Paul
- Full/Part Time: Full-Time
- Regular/Temporary: Unlimited
- Who May Apply: Open to all qualified job seekers
- Date Posted: 01/27/2022
- Closing Date: 02/16/2022
- Hiring Agency/Seniority Unit: Department of Natural Resources
- Division/Unit: Ecological and Water Resources
- Work Shift/Work Hours: Day Shift
- Days of Work: Monday - Friday
- Travel Required: Yes
- Salary Range: $43.39 - $62.12/hourly; $90,598 - $129,706/annually
- Classified Status: Classified
- Bargaining Unit/Union: 220- Managerial Plan
- Work Location: St. Paul
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Employment Condition: Unlimited, Full Time
- Connect 700 Program Eligible: Yes
The Deputy Director functions with the Director to provide oversight of Ecological & Water Resources and serves as the Division's Operations Manager.
Job duties include:
- Direct, develop, and manage the policies, programs, and priorities of the division as a member of the Division Leadership Team (DLT) and other statewide teams and committees.
- Integrate regional and field operations with central office functions.
- Ensure effective communication and coordination among regional and central office Ecological & Water Resources staff and other DNR disciplines.
- Lead division or agency representation on specific, complex, high priority and high profile issues or projects.
- Prevent and resolve interdisciplinary conflicts by being a focal point for conflict management, dispute resolution, and intra-agency coordination.
- Manage strategic and operational planning processes.
- Ensure division agreement and understanding of linkages between the regional planning program and program planning and budgeting efforts.
- Assist with the management of legislative processes for policy legislation, capital bonding and operational budgets.
- Perform all job responsibilities in a manner that supports a healthy, safe, and productive and inclusive work environment for all employees.
Due to the pandemic, this position is currently a telework position and may have the option to telework on a part time basis in the future. The employee will be required to complete a telework agreement.
- Bachelor's degree in natural resources sciences such as: ecological resources, water resources, natural resource management, or closely related field.
- Three years of managerial or advanced supervisory experience directing and supervising natural resources management programs and staff.
- Academic knowledge and advanced professional experience in the natural resources or water resource management field.
- Demonstrated management and/or leadership skills and organizational and interpersonal skills to direct, develop, and engage staff.
- Knowledge of natural resources systems, especially the connectivity between land and water.
- Knowledge of different cultural and community groups sufficient to administer the programmatic area and ensure stakeholders understand the requirements and expectations of a given program.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively work in a team environment by incorporation of multidisciplinary interests into decisions and actions.
- Demonstrated experience and success in negotiation, conflict resolution and consensus building with diverse groups in order to solve difficult and sensitive problems.
- Possess interpersonal, administrative, and human relations skills.
- Possess oral and written communications to effectively communicate complex information in varied settings to a wide variety of audiences.
- Knowledge of the legislative process and functions as evidenced by meeting and communicating directly with legislators, developing draft policy and/or fiscal legislation, participating in the development of legislative strategies or providing testimony at legislative hearings.
- Demonstrated experience in creating and managing complex, multiple-account budgets.
- Ability to direct effective workplace safety programs.
- Advanced degree in natural resources sciences such as: ecological resources, water resources, natural resource management, or closely related field.
- Five years or more of progressively responsible management or supervisory experience in the areas of ecological, natural, or water resource management.
- Experience implementing regulatory programs in the areas of ecological, natural resource, or water resource management.
- Experience with Minnesota’s executive branch budget development and fiscal management process and requirements.
- Expertise in developing and implementing communications strategies for high profile programs and policies.
- Demonstrated skill and experience working with diverse stakeholders (internal and external) on high profile, controversial issues.
- Demonstrated skill and ability to foster cooperation and coordination among a multidisciplinary workforce spread across a broad geography.
Requires occasionally lifting and/or carrying such articles as file folders, ledgers, and small tools. Although a sedentary job is defined as one which involves sitting, a certain amount of walking and standing is often necessary in carrying out job duties.
*This position requires an unrestricted Class D Driver’s License with a clear driving record*
It is our policy that all candidates submit to a background check prior to employment. The background check may consist of the
- Employment Reference Check
- SEMA4 Records Check
- Criminal History Check
- Education/license verification
Why Work For Us
Our goal as an employer is to actively recruit, welcome and support a workforce, which is diverse and inclusive of people who are underrepresented in the development of State of Minnesota policies, programs and practices, so that we can support the success and growth of all people.
We are proud to operate within a Culture of Respect that provides a healthy, safe, and productive work environment for all employees. This means that our employees are respectful to one another and to our customers. We believe that promoting a Culture of Respect allows our employees to do their best work in support of the agency’s mission.
GREAT BENEFITS PACKAGE! The State of Minnesota offers a comprehensive benefits package including low cost medical and dental insurance, employer paid life insurance, short and long term disability, pre-tax flexible spending accounts, retirement plan, tax-deferred compensation, generous vacation and sick leave, and 11 paid holidays each year.
How to Apply
If you are a Connect 700 applicant, please submit your certificate to Becky Keller at firstname.lastname@example.org by the job posting close date.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Minnesota is an equal opportunity, affirmative action, and veteran-friendly employer. We are committed to providing culturally responsive services to all Minnesotans. The State of Minnesota recognizes that a diverse workforce is essential and strongly encourages qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans to apply.
We will make reasonable accommodations to all qualified applicants with disabilities. If you are an individual with a disability who needs assistance or cannot access the online job application system, please contact the job information line at 651-259-3637 or email email@example.com. Please indicate what assistance you need.
Job Type : Full-Time
Education Level : Bachelors Degree
Experience Level : Director