Midwest Natural Resources (MNR) is a natural resources consulting company focused on providing ecological field services. Well known for our botanical and ecological expertise, we serve a wide variety of clients including federal, state, and local agencies, private-sector industries, as well as non-profit organizations. We work throughout the Upper Midwest and in a wide diversity of ecological systems, from intact prairie to expansive wetland complexes, to the great Northwoods.
MNR is seeking applicants for a full-time botanist/plant ecologist based out of our St. Paul office. This position will support projects that may include rare plant surveys, threatened and endangered species habitat assessments and surveys, rare native plant community assessments, general native plant community mapping and classification, native prairie mapping and monitoring, post-construction vegetation and wetland monitoring, wetland delineations, comprehensive natural resource inventories, as well as field surveys to support habitat management plans.
This position is field-based that will require extensive travel outside the Twin Cities metro region for extended periods of time throughout the growing season (depending on project needs) with all travel expenses paid by the company. Staff work in teams of two when travel is involved.
We desire highly motivated individuals with good communication skills, analytical skills, and the ability to work both independently and in a team setting. Our ideal candidate is a well-rounded botanist or plant ecologist with previous field experience and the flexibility to conduct a wide range of natural resource fieldwork.
- Collect accurate and thorough botanical data following project-specific protocols involving transect sampling, relevé plots, or meander surveys in a variety of systems such as upland forests, prairies, peatlands, and other wetland types
- Collect comprehensive botanical inventories for habitat assessments and surveys for threatened and endangered plants
- Conduct native plant community mapping and classification following established protocols and guidelines
- Conduct wetland delineations following the Regional Supplements to the Corps of Engineers Wetland Delineation Manual
- Conduct invasive species surveys and mapping
- Collect, organize, and submit field-based data on tablets and GPS devices
- Data review, analysis, and QAQC
- Production of technical reports, habitat management plans, and proposals
- Correspondence with clients and regulatory agencies
- Ability to work extended hours, including weekends and extended travel away from home
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field (Biology, Botany, Ecology, etc.)
- At least 1 year of field experience collecting biological data
- Coursework in plant taxonomy, botany, and ecology
- Strong knowledge of flora of Minnesota and/or surrounding states
- Experience using floristic dichotomous keys
- Familiarity with accepted plant taxonomy and nomenclature
- Working knowledge of Esri software such as ArcMap/ArcGIS Pro and Field Maps
- Experience producing technical reports and documents
- Valid driver’s license and good driving record
- Advanced degree in a relevant field (Biology, Ecology, Botany, etc.)
- 2-5 years of professional field experience
- Proficient with plant identification in a wide variety of plant communities
- Herbaria submissions
- Knowledge of state and federal regulations pertaining to threatened and endangered species
- Pay range is $62-75K as base salary dependent on qualifications and experience
- Onboarding stipend for field gear
- Full medical and dental insurance
- Monthly HSA contribution for eligible employees
- 401K retirement plan with an employer match of up to 5%
- Opportunity for bonus compensation
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume, and a list of applicable coursework. The cover letter must address how the applicant meets the qualifications and job requirements. Email the application to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Botanist/Plant Ecologist Position”.
This job posting will be open until the position is filled.
For more information about our work, please visit our website at www.mnrinc.us.
Application Link or Email : email@example.com
Job Type : Seasonal, Full-Time
Education Level : Bachelors Degree, Masters
Experience Level : Entry Level, Mid to Senior Level