HDR is looking to add exceptional entry to mid-level biologists to our inclusive, diverse, and highly collaborative Northern California team. Candidates that strive for excellence in their day-to-day work, scientific practice, and careers; as well as those individuals that are interested in continuing to expand their scientific knowledge through collaboration and continued learning will integrate nicely into our biological resources practice. Our biologists spend time in the field and in the office throughout the year. Our field work includes biological resource surveys, floristic surveys, vegetation mapping, and aquatic resources delineations that are performed to support impact assessments, impact avoidance, longterm biological monitoring, regulatory permitting efforts, and pre- and post-construction compliance. In the office, we analyze the data collected in the field and use those data to prepare biological resource reports and study plans, mitigation and monitoring plans, biological resource sections of environmental documents, regulatory permit applications, and other technical papers as needed.
On our team all members have an equal voice in the direction and growth of the practice, along with strategy development for innovative project delivery and scientific data collection methodologies. Junior members of the team area supported by seasoned team members, as well as resource experts across the country, who bring a diverse range of expertise that is critical to our commitment to excellence. If you are interested in becoming a member of our friendly and growing NorCal team, and feel you have the skills and experience outlined below, we look forward to meeting you.
In the role of Biologist, we'll count on you to:
• Perform routine scientific/environmental project assignments requiring application of standard techniques and procedures
• Complete projects with clear, specified objectives and limited variables
• Work independently on small projects, or assist more-senior scientists on larger projects
• Give direction to clerical and technical personnel as needed
• Perform biological field surveys or assessments, data interpretation, and analysis and report writing as needed
• Work on assignments that require dealing with diverse working conditions while in the field as needed
• Perform other duties as needed
- Bachelor's degree in Biology or closely related field
- Proficiency with MS Office
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Willingness to work in inclement conditions and travel for up to two weeks at a time for field work. Travel out of state may be required.
- Must be able to navigate rugged conditions on foot for extended periods of time (8-10 hours). Day and night surveys may be required.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- An attitude and commitment to being an active participant of our employee-owned culture is a must
- Focused academic background with a B.S. or B.A. in biological studies, natural resources, wildlife management, wildlife biology, botany and plant ecology, or an equivalent subject.
- Experience conducting biological surveys through a consulting firm, resource agency, or similar in California or the western U.S.
- Knowledge of California’s flora and/or fauna.
- Demonstrated field experience.
- Experience with special-status mammals, particularly bats; aquatic resources delineations and reporting; resource agency aquatic resources and/or wildlife impact assessments and permitting is a plus.
At HDR, we know work isn't only about who you work for it's also about what you do and how you do it. Led by the strength of our values and a culture shaped by employee ownership, we network with each other, build on each other's contributions, and collaborate together to make great things possible. When you join HDR, we give you license to do the same. We help you take charge of your career, giving you multiple growth opportunities along the way.
Primary Location: United States-California-Sacramento
Other Locations: United States-California-Walnut Creek, United States-California-Folsom
Click to Apply
Job Type : Full-Time
Education Level : Bachelors Degree, Masters
Experience Level : Entry Level, Mid to Senior Level
Job Function : General