Associate Environmental Consultant - Pittsburgh, PA
Desire for a new graduate with advanced degree or entry level environmental scientist to support environmental projects focused on energy and infrastructure markets. The WSP Environment Business is driven to provide our clients with solutions to challenging projects. We are passionate about the industry, and passionate about providing engineering consulting services across a wide range of engineering disciplines.
WSP has an immediate opening for an Associate Environmental Consultant in Pittsburgh, PA will be responsible for conducting environmental analysis and performing field work related to wetland and stream delineation and habitat assessments. This position requires the evaluation of environmental impacts associated with project development. Various tasks include supporting the siting and permitting of renewable, utility, energy and infrastructure projects, including pipelines and related facilities, transmission lines, substations, renewable energy and transportation projects. It is essential that the candidate have practical knowledge or experience with environmental laws and regulations which are the framework for the development of energy infrastructure development. Knowledge or experience with permit applications, wetland and stream impacts, rare, threatened and endangered species consultation, land use, overhead and underground utility construction methodologies, water quality and stormwater management are desired. Knowledge or experience with these issues and their application to energy and land development projects is desirable. The position offers great potential for professional growth in a stimulating work environment.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform environmental analysis and write reports.
- Conduct field work consisting of wetland delineations and habitat assessments.
- Write survey reports and prepare permit applications for federal and/or state environmental permits, including U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Section 404 and Section 10, PA, NJ, MD, and/or DE state wetland and stream permits, NPDES, and United States Fish and Wildlife Service coordination.
- Participate in linear energy planning/routing/siting studies including writing routing reports for submission to state public utility commissions.
- Conduct environmental permitting for renewable energy and other generation facilities.
- Attention and commitment to timely completion of high-quality work.
- Attend and facilitate stakeholder meetings and public hearings.
- Coordinate with local, state, and federal agencies.
Talent is the essence of meeting our client’s objectives, goals and challenges. If this sounds like a fit for you, we’d love to have a discussion with you on joining our team.
- Highly motivated with a client-oriented focus.
- Strong teaming skills.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks concurrently.
- 1 to 3 years of experience with environmental work.
- Academic experience may qualify for years of experience.
- Excellent written and oral interpersonal communication skills.
- BS/BA in environmental studies, planning, natural resources, engineering or related field.
- MS or Ph.D in environmental studies, planning, natural resources, engineering or related field preferred.
- Knowledge or experience with developing state and federal environmental permit applications and supporting documentation in PA, NJ, MD, and/or DE is desirable with a preference given for this experience with power and energy projects.
- Ability to perform wetland delineations and field work.
- An advanced understanding or existing experience in the environmental analyses’ principals associated with the siting and permitting facilities.
- Ability to perform stakeholder outreach, public presentations, and public speaking is desirable.
- Ability to work in a team environment with inter-disciplinary professionals.
- Willingness to travel 20 to 30 percent of time within United States.
- Must be able to problem solve and think creatively.
About WSP USA:
WSP USA is the United States operating company of one of the world's leading engineering and professional services firms. Dedicated to serving local communities, we are engineers, planners, technical experts, strategic advisors and construction management professionals. WSP USA designs lasting solutions in the transportation, buildings, energy, water and environment sectors. With nearly 9,500 people in 150 offices across the United States, we partner with our clients to help communities prosper. www.wsp.com/usa.
WSP provides a comprehensive suite of benefits including medical, dental, vision, disability, life, and retirement savings focused on a providing health and financial stability throughout the employee’s career.
At WSP, we want to give our employees the challenges they seek to grow their careers and knowledge base. Your daily contributions to your team will be a key piece in our meeting client objectives, goals and challenges. Are you ready to get started?
As a federal contractor and recipient of federal funds, WSP USA is a drug free workplace and Equal Opportunity Employer - Race/Age/Color/Religion/Sex/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/National Origin/Disability or Protected Veteran Status
The selected candidate must be authorized to work in the United States.
To view the position posting and apply, please visit:
Job Type : Full-Time
Education Level : Bachelors Degree
Experience Level : Mid to Senior Level
Job Function : General